Sometimes the adoptive family may need to travel internationally before the adoption is finalized and before an amended birth certificate is issued after the finalization of the adoption.

In Florida, to obtain a passport before finalization, you will need:

  1. A certified copy of a court order giving permission from the court to apply for a passport,
  2. The original birth certificate, and
  3. A certified copy of the placement order.

Jeanne T. Tate, P.A. will obtain and provide these documents to assist you in applying for the passport.

Because confidentiality is sometimes an issue, these documents may be provided to the adoptive parents in sealed envelopes to be opened by the passport agency only.  In addition, you will need to complete Form DS-11 (do not sign) found on the Department of State website.  Some agencies want color passport photos, but this may vary depending on the particular agency.  The child’s former name and the child’s new name as it will be on the passport must be correct and match other corroborating documents.

You also need to be certain your names are exactly as they are listed on your proof of identification and/or passports, or the passport office may reject your request.  The original birth certificate is needed to link the child’s former name with the child’s new name.   The passport will be issued in the child’s intended adoptive name.

Depending on how soon you need the passport, you can make an appointment with the nearest passport acceptance facility or with the regional passport agency in your state, if one is offered.  To obtain an expedited passport at the regional passport agency, you must provide proof that you are traveling internationally in two weeks or less to justify the urgent request, such as a flight itinerary or hotel reservation. If only one parent is applying for the passport without the other parent present, you will need to have the absent parent complete form DS-3053. If your adopted son or daughter doesn’t have a social security number, which is requested on the DS-11 form, put zeros on the form and create a signed, dated statement reading, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: (Child’s full name) has never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”

Please note you will not be able to renew a child’s passport (under the age of 16) as the passport is only valid for five years and is not renewable.  Instead, you will apply for a new passport at that time.


Contact us for more ways our adoption law firm can help.

Email us at [email protected].  Call us via 800-874-4916.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these <abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">HTML</abbr> tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>