Are you pregnant and considering adoption?
Are you an adoptive parent looking to start an adoption journey? If the answer to either of those questions is yes, you will need an adoption lawyer.
Why Do I Need to Consult an Adoption Attorney?
Although many adoptions go through seamlessly, others hit a glitch or result in full-blown litigation. In fact, adoption is a legal process where matters are often complex.
According to the Academy of Adoption and Assisted Reproduction Attorneys (AAAA), “whether you want to become a parent through adoption or ART, or you are a birth parent considering placing your baby for adoption, or you want to donate sperm, eggs, or embryos, or you want to become a surrogate, an attorney can do the following for you:
- Explain and discuss the legal options available to you
- Help you decide which option is right for you
- Help you understand your legal rights and obligations
- Help you think through eventualities you may not have thought of
- Guide you through the process
- Be your advocate and protect your legal rights
- Ensure that all applicable laws, ethical rules, and best practices are complied with, so that the end result is legally secure and not subject to challenge”.
What Questions Should I Ask Adoption Lawyers I’m Considering?
Before selecting an attorney for your adoption proceedings, educate yourself on the importance of choosing the right attorney. You should ask your attorney these five questions, at a minimum:
- How long have you been practicing adoption law and how experienced are you in contested adoption litigation?
- Approximately how many adoptions do you personally handle each year?
- What times of day are you available to receive telephone calls, emails or texts?
- What percentage of your practice is devoted to adoption law?
- Are you board certified in adoption law & registered with the AAAA?
About the AAAA
The Academy of Adoption and Assisted Reproduction Attorneys (AAAA) is a credentialed, non-profit organization of attorneys, judges, and law professionals dedicated to the competent and ethical practice of adoption and ART (assisted reproduction) law.
Formed in 1989, it is one of the most distinguished and recognized adoption organizations of its kind. The organization is comprised of nearly 500 highly vetted attorney members dedicated to the competent and ethical practice of adoption and assisted reproduction law. The AAAA is dedicated to improving the adoption industry through regulatory, legislative, and judicial advocacy.
For more information about the AAAA and the adoptions process, visit their FAQ section here.
The Law Offices of Jeanne T. Tate, P.A. provides comprehensive, individual, and affordable legal services to adoptive parents, adoption agencies, and birth parents. We can help you with: international, domestic, special-needs, contested, appeals, interstate, second parent, stepparent, relative, minority adoptions and same-sex couple adoptions. Furthermore:
- We are 100% devoted to the practice of adoption law
- We have 7 attorney members of the prestigious AAAA
- We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.